Thursday, June 14, 2012

Doing Laundry... stretching or shrinking?


I’m all about encouraging our kids to help when it comes to doing household chores.  We don’t do allowances at our house because we think that part of being a family means helping each other out, even with chores, without expecting something in return.  (Before anyone gets loud, I will say we don’t think that the way we run our house has to be the way you run your house… there’s nothing wrong with allowances and we know that there are a number of teaching tools that work and work well… what matters is that you’re doing what aligns with God’s will & fits your family best! J) …so anyway, as I was saying… I love to have help with day to day jobs around here and my girls love to help with laundry.  Kinley loves to help transfer clothes from the washing machine to the dryer (she says thank-you every time I hand her an item w/out my prompting which makes me smile every time, after EVERY piece) and Kylie loves to help fold the clothes when they come out of the dryer.  Depending on the item she’s folded, most of the time I’ll go behind her (when she’s not looking, of course) and re-fold the piece so that it’s folded “right”.  I mean, who wants to wear a t-shirt that has 12 creases instead of 4?  You understand, right??  Wellllll….. today we were folding linens and I started to correct her and then I stopped… "the linens will fit in the closet so much better if they are folded 'correctly'… they’ll look prettier when I open the door if they’re stacked neatly on the shelf… things just work better when they are as they’ve always been, right?" ran through my mind.  And then this:  "Um, isn’t that pillow case going to do it’s job even if I put it in the linen closet with a few extra wrinkles?"  (I’ll wait while some of you gasp when I tell you that I do not iron my bed linens so they really will go on my pillows with those extra wrinkles when I change them out again…pause…pause… smile!)  What’s it going to hurt if I put it away just as she folded it, without re-doing it?  What’s it going to help?  She is such a sweet spirited child and whether she takes note of my action or not, the last thing I want to do is break that spirit.  I know how hard it is to recover from a broken spirit.  I’m sure you could share here, too.  Being in relationship with people everyday lends to all kinds of stories...  anyway, I started thinking about things on a grander scale… How many times throughout the day do I re-do or attempt to re-do something that’s being done because I want it done the way I want it done?  
When we’re serving with others (be it strangers or even family), we always seem to think that we have a way that works better… a plan that flows better… a picture that looks better, etc. but God has seen fit to show me over the years that:  NEWSFLASH: not everything is about Dawn Chappelear…  I know... I was shocked, too!  I mean a lot of times when giving in to someone else’s ideas, we still get where we need to go and sometimes we even learn better routes. J   I will probably always vote for the easiest route to get from one place to another but it seems that I’m either allergic or oblivious to the easy route. Only God knows which route will be best for me.  I’m learning to trust, I’m learning to release my grip of control (sometimes never having it in my grasp in the first place) and I’m learning that even on the uneasy/hard routes, He has me on the “right” route every time & that “right” route will bring about the life that I am to live.  James 1:4 says, “Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature, and COMPLETE, not lacking anything.”  Not lacking anything.... sounds good to me!
A couple of months ago, my devotion said this, “We all have a tendency to cling to the ‘tried & true’.  The trouble with that is when we are no longer being stretched we begin to shrink – we become complacent, we think we can handle things on our own & we stop growing.  If you feel restless at heart today & believe that God has more for you than you've been settling for, then it’s time to confront your fears, walk through them and launch out into a new experience with Him.”

I’ve had some time lately to reflect on how much emphasis I put on things that really won’t matter at all in a few months.  (soon, I won’t have a washing machine or a dryerJ)


So what about you?  Are you stretching or shrinking? 

No comments:

Post a Comment