Thursday, January 31, 2013

1.31.13

“When I look back at where I’ve been, I see that what I am becoming is a whole lot further down the road from where I was.” – Gloria Gaither

Go without something for 15 weeks and you really learn to appreciate it when you get it back… I’m not talking about running water, a hot shower, clean water for washing and drinking, air conditioning or nice fine restaurants(though they, too, will be appreciated when we get to enjoy those things again)… no, I’m talking about my bed…….  We slept in OUR beds last night for the first time in 15 weeks (when our things left Madison in route to FL to be loaded onto a cargo crate) and OH.MY.GOODNESS how I missed my bed!!!  It was heavenly to have that comfort again!  Don’t get me wrong, I am so appreciative that we had air mattresses in MS and a loaner bed when we arrived in Haiti but there is nothing like my bed!  I have learned to be content on a whole new level.   

Tonight Kylie said, “One day we are going to get to use the sinks” as we dunked our hands in water to wash with soap and then applied hand sanitizer to kill any funk from the water.  God love her!  They have done so well with the adjustments.  They’ve tried new foods, new drinks, and slept right through some noises I’ve thought were sure to wake the dead.  As shocking as it is, Kinley (our lightest sleeper) has had no problem sleeping on any given morning when 2 or even 10 different roosters crow back and forth seemingly attempting to out-crow one another, when 4 different kids (from different directions) are screaming, when clanging pans are heard from the outdoor cookhouses, when wild dogs are barking, when men are working outside our windows and even when trucks honk horns that sound like train whistles (if I didn’t know better I’d swear I heard a train rolling through the other day at 4:30am and I’m so-not-kidding!  John said it was a large truck going up the mountain but being that we just left a house near a railroad track trust me when I tell you it sounded exactly like the trains in MS…had to be the loudest truck horn in the world…longest, loudest blaring but I digress..) anyway, she sleeps through all of that but let one of us get up to go to the bathroom and she pops up and is ready to begin the day --- another reason I am grateful that we were able to sleep in our own rooms upstairs last night.  J  (We’d all slept in the same room for 8 nights downstairs while we found our beds & things and got them set up.)

I definitely have different perspectives since moving to Haiti.  (That still seems so weird to say…’since moving to Haiti…’)  Lots of you know we had some rough months leading up to our move but I am really starting to understand (more than just with a head knowledge) that each difficulty we face in life is an opportunity to see God work and that in time-HIS time-He’s going to bring each of us as His children to a place of abundance!  We may have to kill nasty cock roaches or have to wear shoes every minute that we are up and about during the day to avoid worms that make their way into your feet and we may even have to kill what seem to be armies of ants but we are living the abundant life here in Haiti.  

Hearing and witnessing deep hearted laughter from kids who are enjoying life as it happens,


watching and celebrating with some 10-17 year olds as they complete preschool age puzzles while encouraging them as they move on to harder puzzles,


washing wounds and applying medicine and band-aids,  seeing my own children embracing those that are so different yet so like us,





watching fatherless boys relish in time with John and our children whether it be during nerf wars or wrestling matches or just hanging clothes lines,





knowing that some children who wouldn’t have gotten a meal before bed are being fed at our table thanks to you and so many fellow supporters...


is living abundantly for sure. 

I know that with each problem we may encounter, with each struggle, with each conflict God has a wonderful plan to enrich our lives.  With every trial He is humbling us and perfecting our faith.  He’s growing us and we are better for it.  I’m so grateful that He looks beyond my superficial desire for a trouble-free life and instead, fulfills my deep desire to please Him and bring Him glory in ways only He can.

This morning I watched as Caleb was journaling.  I looked to see what he was writing about and saw this, “God, I will do what you have planned for me.  I hope it is something good."
Child...like...faith…..  How good is our God! We just need to trust Him!


“What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting,
so you can respond to God’s giving.” Matthew 6:32 (The Message)

1 comment: