Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On to Camp Coq...


This morning I woke up to the cutest 2 yr old face (and a striped monkey) about 2 inches from my nose…both grinning from ear to ear! J  Granted it was a good bit earlier than I wanted to wake up but the grins were contagious and the hugs, always irresistible! 

We had a fabulous breakfast and I’m spending my last minutes by the water before packing up.  I’ve never blogged at the beach before but I could definitely get used to this! HA!  We haven’t had internet connection since we’ve been here--apparently there was trouble with the internet provider from Port-au-Prince so when things go wrong in the “big city” everyone is affected.  I’m writing anyway and maybe it will go through today.  (Pictures to come soon!)

This stay at the beach the last couple of days has been amazing…it has done my heart so much good to relax, engage in some “real” talk time with our kiddos and realign my perspective before the next leg of our journey.  Today we will leave Comier and head to our new home in Camp Coq.  While I hate to leave the peaceful waves and gorgeous view here at the beach, my heart is both anxious and excited about taking the next step.  It’s still a little surreal…almost can’t believe it’s really time.  

On our flights from the States to Haiti, I found myself wondering if we’d have seats together on the way home like we did on our way here.  Then almost as soon as I thought that, it hit me that for the first time ever, I was taking a one-way trip home away from the home I’ve always known.   I’ve never flown somewhere and not had a returning flight.  Aside from leaving a world of complete chaos behind last Thursday, I could not have asked for a better transition so far.  We had one “melt-down” night where Kylie cried for Hershey and Kinley cried for Mammaw but overall our transition has been a smooth one.  The kids were amazing on each flight.  My absolute favorite was watching the sun rise by plane Saturday morning and seeing the kid’s faces as they saw it with their own eyes while we discussed that only God could paint such beauty and allow us to see it that close up!  I’ve seen a sunrise before but I have to say that in the air it really is breathtaking!  The colors that transformed right in front of us were unreal and the orange hues that reflected on the clouds are not anything that could ever be replicated.

Thank you all for your continued prayers!  We wouldn’t be this far on the journey if it weren’t for your petitions paired with ours before our Great God!

We haven’t been able to get messages since the internet hasn’t been working and if I’m able to post this today we still may not have time to download messages but we are hopeful that it won’t be long before we can be back in contact with each of you online again.  Spread the word that we are doing fine and absorbing each minute as it happens, constantly looking for and finding God.  Though we have thought of tons of things we forgot, all of our luggage made it with us and none of it was opened and raked through at the Customs counter when we arrived in Haiti.  There was discussion between two service guys after our things were unloaded from the plane.  I started praying that God would grant us pardon from the hassle of opened luggage and accruing charges to get it back and when the guy approached John I prayed even harder.  He said a couple of things to John and John spoke back, they swapped a few looks and then the guy walked on.  J  No hassle!  J

I continued to be amazed at how well the kids are doing with ALL the changes that are taking place!  (Thank you, God!) Our first two nights away were interrupted with cries during the night but the last 3 nights have been quiet and peaceful!  Tonight will be different as we will have a few more adjustments in Camp Coq to get used to but I trust that God has that in His giant hands, as well!

The kids are processing things in their own time and asking questions as they feel led.

Kylie asked us at dinner the other night how we were all going to fit in one vehicle.  I didn’t understand what she meant so I reminded her that our black truck was already in Camp Coq.  She asked again how we’d all fit.  I asked her what she meant and she said, “well, with all of our new brothers and sisters, how will we all fit in one vehicle?” I love that she already considers those she’s never met to be her new family.  I pray that they, too, will be so accepting and welcoming to all of us as their new family.

Kinley continues to win hearts and she’s told us that she has already “done her homework” so she’s ready for school!  J  She is already making new ‘’best friends”.  We’ve gotten to know one of the waiters, here at Comier, pretty well and he asked last night if she could stay behind with him.  He gave her, her own fruit champagne the last two nights and all the kids love him. 

Caleb makes me so proud as he exercises courage!  He has been wonderful to try new things and has rolled with the punches, aiding his sisters all the way. He and I had some one on one time in the waves yesterday… oh, how I treasured that time!  He had a blast the last 2 days finding treasures on the beach and searching for cool rocks and shells.  (Jolly, he can’t wait for you to come exploring with him!)

John has gotten some much needed rest since we’ve been here and he’s been able to relax, finally.  We’re reading a great new book about someone else’s missionary journey and both of us are amazed at the parallels already.  He has smiled that incredible smile for days and it makes my heart so happy!  I couldn’t be more proud of him for leading our family with such zeal!  We are so blessed to have him in our lives.

I’ve received many ‘kisses’ from the King since arriving… the kids got their OWN coconut and had it cut open to try before dinner the other night (for those that heard my coconut story from June, you will appreciate that!).  Yesterday I saw 24 butterflies while laying out at the beach….24 butterflies…at the beach…. Maybe I’m weird but I’ve never seen butterflies at the beach so I smiled every time I saw one and even cried a little at the overwhelming thought that my Father loves me so much that He finds ways to speak to me directly about how much He loves me no matter where I am!  I’ve seen (14) today already and it’s still morning!  Yellow ones, orange ones, black ones, gray and blue ones, black and orange ones, etc.  His love for me (and you) is so much deeper than any ocean and so much higher than any mountain top.  I LOVE being where I can see both!!!  Though I won’t be living with the awesomeness of the beach right before me each day, I will have mountains outside my door and I will forever be grateful for the little messages He has given me while here.  I pray continually that He will allow me to see & feel His love as I have this week.

There is no doubt…  “Our adequacy is from God.” 2 Corinthians 3:5

6 comments:

  1. Dawn - So glad to hear everything is going well! Hershey is purring louder everyday and talks to me when I get home after work. Such a sweet boy! Winston made friends with the Jack Russell and pug next door; he and Corey have enjoyed nightly walks and everyone is eating like there is no tomorrow! While working from home, Jim enjoyed the menagerie. And last night we all had fun playing on the rug in the living room. Tell Kylie, Kinley and Caleb that their furry pets are getting used to their new home and send their love to everyone in Haiti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to hear from you! I'm ecstatic about the purring and all the play going on there with the furry clan! We got your email (now that we have internet).. loved the picture :) We are praying for you all, as well, and hope Corey is doing well! Sending our love!

      Delete
  2. SO amazing! Praying for you all!! Handey Oddo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Handey! I've thought of you several times since being here and our days in Brazil! :)

      Delete
  3. Keeping y'all in our prayers as you get adjusted. Miss y'all but so excited to see how God is going to use y'all!

    -Kristy Henriques

    ReplyDelete