Monday, February 16, 2015

2.16.96

Though we make plans, God orders our steps...

19 years ago today John and I were comparing notes before heading back to lead small group discussions during a DNow weekend in Starkville, MS.  (GO Dawgs!)  We'd met about 10 months prior and dated for about 4 of those months...  2 on, 6 off, 2 on.  That's another story for another time.

(smiles)

A friend of ours, also one of John's roommates at the time, was a youth pastor and asked us to help facilitate that weekend.  As we talked about the material, we discussed our own thoughts regarding the topic and shared past experiences where we'd personally seen God work.

As we were wrapping up our discussion, John started grinning all over himself and shifting in his seat.  I asked him what was going on but he hesitated - just kept smiling.  I kept questioning what in the world was going on, wondering if I had said something that spurred this mystery.  He said that if he told me that I'd think he was crazy.

And then he said it...

"I think you are the one...that I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life with..."      

Without missing a beat I assured him that I didn't think he was crazy because I had been thinking the same thing!

At that point, we were both cheesy grinning all over ourselves and I thought my heart would beat right out of my chest.  We called our friend aside and told him that we wouldn't be there for the Sunday morning finalĂ© and after the evening session we packed the car and headed to my parents, about 45 minutes away.

When we arrived, John asked to speak to my dad.  Adrenaline was at an all-time high and I bit my lip waiting for John and Daddy to finish their chat.  We received the blessing and a celebration erupted- despite the fact that my mom felt it necessary to warn John that he had not yet seen my real temper!
(details, details...)

We visited for a bit and then got back in the car to tackle the 80+ miles between us & John's parents.  It was late and I'm pretty sure we woke them up but they, too, were elated over our news!  After receiving our 2nd parental blessing, we daydreamed... and planned.

This August will mark 19 years of marriage...
    19 years of our planning under His ordering...
Plans and orders that have included loss and gain..death and life..joy and sorrow..
moves and mountains..purpose and provision..beauty and ashes..
faith and fear..kids and commitments.

Things haven't always gone as we had planned.  God has shaped us and broken us and mended us only to break us again and again for our good.  But through it ALL I praise God for orchestrating our steps that day and today.

"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."
Proverbs 16:9



No comments:

Post a Comment