Friday, March 21, 2014

For such a time as this?

Our children ask questions almost daily that we don't have answers to.
Family and friends continue to ask questions that we don't have answers to.
Our own minds race with questions that we don't have answers to.

All are legitimate questions but none-the-less, questions that we just can't answer right now.


We went snorkeling earlier this week and though my unusually queasy stomach made me dread the boat ride that took us to the island I am so glad I went along.  There was such peace in the water.  I swam out by myself and tapped into a form of worship I rarely get to enjoy.

As I looked around, I saw fish and shells and coral and plants and I couldn't help but praise the God who made it all.  The water was so clear!  No matter where I swam I could see the floor.  I couldn't easily touch the floor in the deep but I could see it.  It was a floor that never ceased.  I was amazed at what I saw in the deep and I am amazed today at this current "floor" of peace that exists in my life during this uncertain time.

I can't tell you where we will be in a week much less a month.   I don't wake up each day automatically grateful for this phase of life.  I can't say that we are just one big happy family, greeting obvious change with smiles on our faces through it all.  And I realize that we may never get answers to some of our questions on this side of heaven but underneath all the questions I do feel a weird, yet, settling peace.

A peace that piggy-backs hope, I suppose...  
     "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him."  Psalm 62:5

A peace that doesn't make a bit of sense...
     "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

But a peace that reminds me that although I don't have answers to our questions, God has purposed me (and my family) "for such a time as this".  (Esther 4:14)

I can't imagine what thoughts and questions must have gone through Esther's mind as she heard the words, "who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"  I am in anything but a royal position in the world's eyes.  We are at the mercy of friends right now to even give us a place to sleep but I know this..."His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man; the Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in His unfailing love." Psalm 147:10-11  The same God that made the waters that I reveled in earlier this week holds our every day and as I continue to let go of the things that I cannot control, I believe He is working in me.  I believe that when I cannot give my children an answer other than, "God knows and He is trustworthy", that not a single day will go by in vain.  

I was able to swim out into the deep this week because of the equipment I had.  And I am able to keep "swimming" now because my hope is in Him who promises me that He is my salvation.  "I will trust and not be afraid.  The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation." (Isaiah 12:2)  He was my salvation yesterday when we were stopped 4 times to show vehicle papers during our 7 hour car ride.  He is my salvation today as I wait on further direction.  And He will be my salvation tomorrow and every day that follows until I rest in His physical arms.

"And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.  Men swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument.  Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath.  God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.  We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."  ~Hebrews 6: 15-19

The anchor holds...
Even in such a time as this.....


No comments:

Post a Comment