Thursday, April 17, 2014

Buffet, anyone?

As I mentioned in my last post, we had the opportunity to visit a new church last Sunday.  It was so refreshing to have a little taste of worship in English but we were also blessed by the challenging words that the pastor delivered, as well.

He talked about the responsibilities we have as Christians and the marks (or signs) of a true disciple.  So often when we are speaking with unbelievers I think we are tempted to "sell" Jesus as a ticket to a better life.  While the benefits of living in Christ far outweigh the costs, we can't afford to skip over the part that reveals the cost.

In one of my devotionals today (The Word For You Today), it talked about the Christian life being a series of blessings and buffetings.  Maybe you are like me and when you see or hear the word buffet, you think about an "all-you-can-eat" dinner set up but that is not what this word means here.  Isn't that kind of what some teach about Christ, though?

     'Show up to the party and eat what you like!'

     'Get fat on the good and feel free to leave the rest!'

The word "buffet" in the devotional today is described as "to render blow, after blow, after blow".  That's quite the different meaning!  So if we read it as it was written here, it states that the life of one who truly knows and follows the Lord will be full of blessings but will also involve some really hard times, too.  When you look at the life of Paul you can see that although he asked to be relieved of his "thorns" the response he got from God was, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."  (2 Corinthians 12:9)  God, who promises blessings (Ezekiel 34:26), permits the buffetings.

If He loves us, why would he permit the trials and the blows and the disasters and the heartache and the pain?

Because He loves us and knows what is best for us, he wants to make sure we live our lives dependent on Him.  Without the trials and the blows and the disasters and the heartache and the pain, we would live independent of a Savior, right?

He's not a mean God who takes pleasure in the sufferings of His children anymore than we, as parents, would delight in the suffering of our own.

God loves His own.  He delights in His own (Matthew 12:18).  Though we argue that we know what is best for us (and our children), there's no way to know what lies around the corner.  Only God knows what awaits each of us and our families.  His ways are not our ways, no; His thoughts are not our thoughts, no (Isaiah 55:8-9).  But they are better.  They are true.  They are right.  And He always works things for our good!  (Romans 8:28)  Always!!!

Whatever you've traded in to follow Christ, don't give up... You aren't forgotten!  You will be rewarded!  And during the trials, grab hold of the One Savior that gives ultimate freedom in the midst of the chains.  He is true... He is Christ!

IN CHRIST......
I can do all things,
I can forgive,
I can sing,
I can play,
I can rest,
I can share,
I can move forward,
I can remember,
I can forget,
I can trust.......
IN CHRIST!

"Lord,
Thank you that You have given us the name Christian.
Now, give us strength to carry it."
~Haitian prayer from God is No Stranger

No comments:

Post a Comment