Sunday, April 13, 2014

Palms, Homes & Jesus

"You are no longer foreigners and aliens, 
but fellow citizens with God's people 
and members of God's household." 
~Ephesians 2:19

I'm not sure what this verse means to you but when I received it in an email this morning I smiled and whispered 'Thank you, Lord'!  

We've moved about as a family the last 4 weeks and after visiting 9 different places we've bunked (literally) at 5 different spots in 29 days.  We are extremely grateful for the safe areas where we've rested and even more grateful for the new friends we've made but I'd be dishonest if I told you I wasn't guilty of wanting more.  

Many days I've quietly prayed and wished for permanent shelter and some days I've even voiced out loud my desire for a place we can call our own.  Interviewing as a family is challenging to say the least but throw some suit-case living on top of full days in the car up and down the mountains and you've got a recipe for wanting to end the day 'at home'.     

It's hard to get comfortable in a bed that's not your own.  

It's hard to sleep soundly when you share a room with 5 other people for 4 weeks, no matter how much you love them.

It's hard to feel 'at home' when you just aren't at home.  


Today, for the first time in 16 months, we were able to go to church where the service was in English.  The songs were in English, the message was in English, the greetings were in English and the prayers were in English!  Our girls got to attend 'children's church' where they waved real palm leaves and sang 'Hosanna' in honor of Palm Sunday.  


Our boys walked away talking about the experience and the message.  It was incredible and I felt like I was taking in a tall glass of water after an intense workout!  

It's true that we felt a little more 'at home' during our morning worship time with new friends, but during the days that we don't have familiar worship, Ephesians 2:19 can serve as a great reminder that we are not strangers to the family of God.  I know that no matter our surroundings we are not foreigners or aliens once we enter into a relationship with Christ.  I can't begin to tell you how that comforts my soul when all around us is foreign!  As we continue to follow God's lead and seek out His plan for us at this time, it's tough to feel anything but foreign but in this scripture, God tells us that He has made us a member of His household!  

Well, Happy Palm Sunday to you and to me!  That's stinkin' amazing!  

We can't hop on a plane and fly 'home' to see our extended family right now but our God assures us that wherever we are in this world that we are with family when we are with Him.  We are not visitors or paying guests... We are not passerby-ers waiting to see if He has a place to 'house' us for the next week...  We don't have to wait until someone else arrives that knows us to let us in...  We are in!  We are heirs to the throne of God!  When I take time to reread His promises that prove my place in His home, I know we've not been forgotten.  

In this life, when things get really tough we are so tempted to argue about things "that matter"...  things "that we need"...  things that "make or break us"...  but you know what.......  if I died tonight, regardless of safe shelter and a fan, I have all that I need cause I have Jesus!  


In the morning, when I rise...
In the morning, when I rise...
In the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus, 
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world,
Just give me Jesus.

When I am alone...
When I am alone...
When I am alone, give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world,
Just give me Jesus.

When I come to die,
When I come to die,
When I come to die, give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world,
Just give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world...
You can have all this world...
You can have all this world, 
Just give me Jesus.

~lyrics by Jeremy Camp


No comments:

Post a Comment