Monday, July 21, 2014

Unpredictable but Present

It's used to name organized meeting times...
It's used on CD titles...
It's used in quips and quotes...

It is worship.

Worship is showing honor or giving worth to something/someone.

So, what does it look like?

Do you have to be dressed up to worship?
Do you have to have a guitar and a designated meeting space for it to be real?
Do you have to be kneeling to participate?

Typically on Sundays we worship as a family at Port-au-Prince Fellowship.  We sing a lot and we hear an incredible and challenging message for the coming week but yesterday my worship was a little different.

I answered the phone at 6:30am and then took one of our guests (who is interested in becoming a Midwife one day) to the Heartline Maternity Center.

There was coffee, a dog named Dolly, 3 midwives that have recently allowed me to enter into their circle and a cute pregnant lady who danced as her contractions happened.  Sooooo despite the early hour and my typical Sunday plan to attend church, I decided that I wanted to hang out for a while.

As things progressed, I felt God surrounding me in that place.  That unconventional sanctuary... a birthing room, none the less.  I prayed silently for the mom who was about to have a new life in her life and I worshiped.

There was no guitar.  There was no singing.  There was no kneeling.  But there was God.

"Having the reality of God's presence is not dependent on our being in a particular circumstance or place, but is only dependent on our determination to keep the Lord before us continually." (Oswald Chambers)

Maybe you, like me, need to see that God is so much more than what we've made Him out to be.  That He is continually with us.  He beckons us.  He wants us to see Him for who He is.  He longs for us to worship Him throughout each day wherever we might be...even in a birthing room!





Sometimes we spend so much time looking for God and for specific ways to connect with Him that we fail to see that He's been there all along...right beside us.  As we worship Him, we see Him. 

Worship is personal but it doesn't have to be predictable. 

I am so grateful I got to worship with this little guy yesterday!




I'd love to hear about some unpredictable places where you've worshiped lately!


"The point is not to completely understand God but to worship Him.
Let the very fact that you cannot know Him fully lead you to praise Him
for His infiniteness and granduer."
~Francis Chan


No comments:

Post a Comment