Thursday, August 29, 2013

Envy of the Neighborhood

I love it when John shares on our blog....  check out what he has to say about Envy below:


Deep down I think we've all had that secret desire in our lives to impress those around us. We've all wanted to be the envy of the neighborhood in one aspect or another. Maybe as kids it was the best toys, 'hip'-est clothes, coolest room or having the "in-crowd" friends. That list still sounds a lot like the things we chase after to impress those around us now, as adults, except the toys are bigger, clothes are dressier, rooms have turned into houses and our friends - well we still want to be a part of the "in-crowd" no matter what circles we run in.

Since moving to Haiti, I've finally achieved the coveted status of "envy of the neighborhood" but not a whole lot has changed regarding the stuff that I have.  In fact, in many aspects I have less now than I did in the States. 

You see everybody is impressed with my vehicle but it is the same one that I drove 11 years ago. It hasn't had any upgrades or improvements but it does have a lot more dents and dings than it did when we arrived. None of that matters though, but the fact that I have a vehicle that runs, is safe and gets me wherever I need to go does.

Those here are even impressed with my clothes but there are no new additions to my wardrobe. Most days I wear gym shorts and a t-shirt but that is not what causes the envy. It is the fact that I have enough clothes to go several days without washing and without having to wear the same thing for several days at a time.  And the fact that there are no holes or mend marks in them. 

I get to live in a really nice house but it's not even mine. We have been blessed with three bedrooms in this house for our family and although I can't change the paint color, the furniture in most of the house, or the fact that the owners could have workers in the house at any given time (right now they are working on the back porch), it is more than just a house.  The roof over our heads doesn't leak when it rains, the floors aren't made of dirt and we have indoor plumbing and electricity.

I'm not sure about the "in-crowd" part.  I still struggle to understand a lot of the language so I'm not sure where I stand in the hierarchy of coolness there.

If I've "got it all" now, why do I not feel any better?  

Maybe it's because I've "achieved" all of this while those around me are suffering.  

Maybe it's because my perspective has changed more than my zip code. 

Or maybe it is because of the other things that the people around me envy about my life. 
I have power, good ol' electricity. Not an abundance, but enough. My family and I were blessed to have our home church, LifeBridge Church, purchase a solar electric system to ensure that we have power.  I do still get onto my kids for leaving the lights on but not because of a high bill. Now we have to monitor every watt of electricity because it is both precious and limited. We live our lives on batteries here and they provide exactly what we need each day but not enough to be wasted. 

The power leads to other items of envy - fans, lights, a refrigerator and ice!  We have quickly become the local cell phone charge station during the day, a meeting place at night, and 'most importantly' we have ice for those that come to our house. The local kids are usually content to get just one piece of ice in their cup, which sometimes has Kool-Aid, and that's a whole different envy.

I have water. Not an abundance but enough that I rarely run out. I have a water tank that houses water for my family so I have water for washing dishes, clothes and even myself but that is not what most people envy.  They have access to all the water they can carry out of the local river. What they really envy is that we have fresh, clean drinking water. We have to go to another town to buy it but we have it. Most here don't have that luxury.

I have food. Not fine five course dinners. Most nights it is rice, beans and occasionally a drumstick. But I have food. My family eats not just once a day but at least three times a day. The people around me don't have that luxury. Most will eat once a day and some not at all. Many have to put their kids to bed hungry with no promise of when or where the next meal is coming from. Every day there are children begging at the gate because they are hungry and we have even witnessed children digging in our garbage for anything edible or valuable. 

I have money. Not a lot, but enough to provide for my family and help some others out, as well. Helping others out is the best part of having money here. We have had the opportunity to help the sick, provide water tanks to improve daily lives, send kids to church camp, buy clothes and shoes for those who have none, and even treat kids to their first restaurant meals among many other things. Most of the time, just a few dollars here can make all the difference in someone's life but I have to be willing to sacrifice and give in order to bless and be blessed.

Being the envy of my new neighborhood has certainly changed my perspective. All of the things I used to worry about in order to impress others are now opportunities to help and bless others. 

Our vehicle has been everything from a local taxi, an ambulance, a delivery truck and a means to give a kid their first ride in a car. 

Clothes and shoes are just something else to share now. My wardrobe has gotten smaller and smaller, but it lights me up every time I see someone wearing something that I was able to share with them.

Our house is now the local gathering spot for all ages.  From charging phones to hosting meetings, sometimes it's just means being able to get something to eat and some clean water. 

I still like cool gadgets, nice clothes and good food but the longer I am here the more they become just things. They don't have the same power over me as they did before and I am able to see all of them as opportunities. Opportunities to share, give and bless those around me. 

If I can use the things that I have to make a difference in someone's life then they have achieved their real purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment