Monday, August 26, 2013

His... Mine... Yours...

Ahhhhh… a few quiet minutes and my computer…  It's been a couple of weeks since I’ve had time to enjoy either!  We have been 'on the go' a lot lately (which was a nice change of pace and scenery) but it’s always good to be back home.  

Even Yehn Yehn’s dog is happy we are back this week! 

    Ha!

I was looking through an old journal today and one year ago (this same week) I wrote about journeys...  I laughed as I read this...

"The journey to Ernie on Sesame Street - ha!  Big Bird looks for Ernie and finds him and sings a song (on almost every episode)...  our journey doesn't end so quickly but I'm extremely grateful that I don't have to wait til the end of our journey to see you, Lord!  You show us your presence is with us all the way!  Thank you! Continue to bless us and those around us as our journey unfolds to Haiti.  Encourage our hearts - bless John today - encourage him, our leader, I pray.  I praise you for your rich goodness and love that you freely pour out!"

It's been a while since I've seen any Sesame Street episodes but if you have small children around, chances are you're probably familiar with Big Bird's journeys to find Ernie...   J 

Whether in Haiti or in Mississippi, I can always be sure I am where I am supposed to be when I follow God's lead.  When He called us to Haiti, He promised He'd be with us every step of the way.  He has been and I believe He will continue to do what He promised.  While I may have felt a little out of the loop on occasion since we've been here, I can honestly say I have never really felt like I was where I didn't belong.  Even in this foreign land, where we look different and talk differently than those around us, I have never been more sure about being in the right place than I am here. 

No matter where I am or what may be going on around me, I have a sense of belonging because I am HIS but also because He is mine!  That is such a comfort to me.

My friend, Gretchen, gave me this bracelet last year before we left...



It's one of my favorites because of the great reminder printed on it.  
It reminds me that I'm not just another face in the crowd like I am in this picture...



...but I am His and He knows me by name.  

He formed my every feature in my mother's womb and he wrote about every day of my life in His book before my first day came to be.  

And He did the same for you.  (smile)
Yesterday, while I was in church the congregation was singing and I recognized the music so I sang along in English while those around me sang in Creole.  I quit worrying about what people would think and I closed my eyes and sang as if it were just me and God in the room.  As the song I knew faded out and a new song began that I didn't recognize I started to sing my own words...  kind of like I was praying really loud to music.  Before I knew it my eyes welled up with tears and I just kept singing, "You are mine, you are mine and I am yours" over and over again... What a great truth and what great comfort it brought me!  

I've seen more in the midst of nothing over the last 7 months than some people see in a lifetime but you know what I am grateful for today?  I am grateful that He continues to show me my worth is in Him and that regardless of what I feel based on my circumstances, I am never-- ever-- alone.  I belong!  I am His, He is mine and He chose me. 

How do I know?  He tells me in John 15:16.  He said, “…I chose you…”

No matter where you are tonight, no matter what you are going through, I hope you find the same comfort in knowing that you belong!  You were created by One who never makes a mistake and He knows you by name.  You are loved far more than you can ever imagine and you can call the God of the universe YOURS if you want to.  You don't have to use fancy words or pray a long prayer.  Psalm 145: 18 says, "The Lord is near to ALL who call on him".   

He is mine, is He yours?   

"Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.  Whom have I in heaven but you?  I desire you more than anything on earth.  My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." Psalm 73:23-26

3 comments:

  1. Dawn, that was sooooooo beautiful! Thank you for all your encouragement as you write these beautiful lines and share from the heart of the Lord in you!! I am so glad you are there, but I miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I miss you, too, "Suzam"! :) Thank you for always encouraging me to be me!

      Delete
  2. Dawn, thank you so much for the beautiful words and thoughts you have shared. It has touched my heart so!!! I am so glad you are there and being so blessed, but we so miss you here too. I am really happy that the Lord is blessing you in such an incredible way!!!

    ReplyDelete