Friday, August 9, 2013

What yo name is...

"Momeeeeeee".....

"Dawn".....

"Sister".......

"Madame John".....

"Blanco"......


Like most moms, I am used to hearing my named called all day long by the adorable little people in my house but after moving to Haiti our 'family' has grown beyond the walls of the Mission House.  I don't just hear "Mamaaaaaaaa" from our own kiddos but now I hear one or all the names listed above...  all day long... all... wanting... something...

After about the 23rd time I am called each day I am tempted to answer with a disgruntled "WHAT?!?!?" instead of a "yes, sweetheart..."  :)

A couple of days ago I was busy upstairs and I got 'the call'...
"Good grief... can I not get anything done from start to finish without being called," I thought!

I had had it...  I stormed out, ready to scream and then I ran into Loude... she was calling me but not because someone downstairs needed me, not because someone was bleeding, not because kids were fighting but because she had prepared one of my new favorite things to eat...

Smack in the middle of the day, she surprised me with some Haitian soul food!  Oh MY Goodness!  Yes!


What a pleasant thing instead of something I was dreading...  I was being served, in a sense, instead of being called to serve.

This did two things for me...  it lifted me up and made me feel special but it also reminded me to keep my perspective...  it reminded me that I "am blessed when I take refuge in the Lord" and that I really can "taste and see that the Lord is good"! (Ps 34:8)  (smiles)

I'm sure wherever you are, you are also surrounded by others you are called to serve.  While you are serving today, do not miss the joy of God's presence.  "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9)

Take a minute today and refill... spend time enjoying and experiencing God's goodness even if you don't get some actual soul food.

When someone calls your name take a deep breath, smile and look for your blessing...

"Let circumstances take you where they will, but keep drawing on the grace of God in whatever condition you may find yourself."(Oswald Chambers)

No comments:

Post a Comment