Thursday, February 20, 2014

When 'I know' becomes 'I don't know'...

We got some discouraging news yesterday so today we got up with a little less "umph" in our step.  In my quiet time this morning I remembered this cartoon that Caleb and I used to watch when he was little called, Higglytown Heroes.  Maybe some of you remember it, too.....


It told the story of 5 friends (models of Matryoshka nesting dolls) who explored their city and the people in it.  Each episode showcased a problem that needed to be solved in the community and introduced a hero that helped formulate a plan to solve the problem.  The series "encouraged involvement in the community" and was a means "to inspire children to consider the importance of individuals who contribute to the world and make it a better place".  Aside from being a little creepy because the kids were made like nesting blocks and could fit inside each other, it was really cute and taught lessons of friendship along with problem solving, too.  

One of the characters was a cute little girl named Twinkle and when the town was faced with a problem she would always come up with this grand (but really 'out there' game-plan).  She would say, "I know, I know, I know..... we can.........".   All of her friends would smile and tell her that while it was a great plan, they didn't think it was going to work.  Then a specific hero of the town would be introduced to help solve the problem.

I'll be honest with you... I don't think of myself as a hero in life but I am guilty of trying to formulate a plan when I find myself in the middle of a problem.  

When things happen that turn my world upside down, sitting still is not my natural 'go-to' plan of action, for obvious reasons.  My first response is often to find relief - sooner than later.  

In the midst of our current trials, we've been so tempted to run to God on numerous occasions and say, "I know, I know, I know............. let's try this".  It's so obvious that while my human mind and my heart want to be able to embrace a solution, God is the only hero that has the solution for me.  

We will fail, we will fall, we will hit dead ends and we will hit walls but God loves us too much to leave us there.  

I believe He is working a great plan for me.  He is working a great plan for you.  

When we are discouraged, we can't stay there.  We have to get up and praise Him over and over again and in that we will gain clarity.  We don't have to figure out how to solve the problems we are faced with.  We just have to listen and obey.  

"...the sheep listen to His voice.  He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  When He has brought out all His own, He goes on ahead of them, and His sheep follow Him because they know His voice." ~John 10:3-4

Sometimes we are crippled with fear... scared to death to take another step for fear of more pain or for fear of doing it wrong or fear of missing the mark but we CAN go forward even in our fear KNOWING that He is leading us.  He is GOD... He is the navigator and He will let us know if we are headed in the wrong direction.  HE WILL!  

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." ~Isaiah 30:21

I know we aren't the only ones struggling right now.  So many of you, I know personally, are struggling with your own problems and you, too, are in such great need of relief.  Oh, that we would stop exhausting ourselves in trying to get that relief and just tap into the Ultimate Source. 

"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord
our Maker; for He is our God and we are the people of His pasture,
the flock of His care.  
Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts..." ~Psalm 95:6-7

"Look at the nations and watch-and be utterly amazed.  For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5 

So once again I'm here at "I don't know..." but it's ok because He knows and that's enough... again...

No comments:

Post a Comment