Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hump Day..

Bonjour from Camp Coq!

This morning I woke up with sun lines on my back and skinned knuckles but yesterday was a great day!  Running out of water last week caused the laundry to pile up but oddly enough, I’m kind of glad.  I followed my new zanmis (Creole for ‘friend’) to a somewhat secluded area in the river and we spent 4 hours doing laundry in the most beautiful “office” I’ve ever worked in.  I had probably been washing for about an hour when I looked up and really took it all in.  I stopped and just gasped.  A couple of the girls looked at me and I smiled and said, “Bël!!” (which means ‘pretty/beautiful’ in Creole), pointing to the view, and then I said, “Merci, Papa!” (‘Thank you, Father’).  One of them smiled and really began to look around, too.  The most gorgeous view was right in front of us!  Mountains so perfectly chiseled and trees placed in all the perfect spots.  My own tropical heaven…  Everywhere I looked there was a different yet beautiful scene and the sun was so full and centered.  The wind was blowing and the water was cool.  I was soaking it all in but wondered how often the natives forget about the beauty because of the “ugly” that lurks all around…  I am guilty of this so many times in my own life.

As I think back, I know there were many times I didn’t see the beauty for the filth.  I’m so grateful God doesn’t say, “Oh well, you didn’t see it before so I’m not going to show you now”. No, instead, He continues to pour out His goodness and His blessings and His beauty because that’s who HE is, regardless of who I am.  We aren’t seeing this beauty now because we live in Haiti vs. Mississippi or because we are living a life now where all is seemingly beautiful and easy.  It’s because God, in who He is, continues to lavish us with all that IS good and when we align our thoughts with His, we get to see it.  When we praise Him, we see more and more clearly through the correct lens. 

By now, it’s probably no surprise to any of you that I love photography.  Being that I have a Canon camera, if I try to use a Nikon lens, I’m not going to get good results…  I must use the lens that was designed for my camera to be able to get beautiful images…  I feel like the same is true for my life.  If I view the things that happen to me through the wrong lens I am going to get something less than beautiful every time!    

In 31 Days of Praise it says this, “Praise can free you from wasting your energies by speculating on just exactly how each circumstance in your life could be part of God’s plan.  Through praising and thanking God, you put your stamp of approval on His unseen purposes.  You do this not because you can figure out the specific whys or hows, but because you trust His love and wisdom.”  With this mentality, we can agree with Paul in Romans 11:33-34 that says, “Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!  How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!” Another version says it this way, “Frankly, I stand amazed at the unfathomable complexity of God’s wisdom and God’s knowledge.  How could man ever understand His reasons for action, or explain His methods of working?” 

It’s exciting and refreshing to take a step back and relinquish control where I had no control to begin with.  It’s also exhilarating to see my own children flourishing in their new elements, (another blessing and gift from the Father).  While I was surrounded yesterday by my favorite landscapes and those I am quickly learning to do life with, I was also watching Caleb and Kylie explore.  Although we saw a couple of snakes on our trek to the water and Kylie had a fit, she soon calmed down and opted to stay the course and check out “this river” --asking questions all the way about what was IN the river.  J  It wasn’t long after we got settled in our spots that Jeff and LuLu made their way to where we were and then came Manuel, Wende, Jackie, Livingson, Rodlin, etc, etc, etc… They found a shrimp and then another and then a crab.  Kylie was soaked from neck down and they were having a blast!  They were beaming each time they came to show us their ‘treasures’.  They filled the cup they had and sent Kylie and Manuel back to the house for a bigger container to hold all their findings. 

The joy I had while watching Caleb and Kylie is much like what I think God feels when he sees us beaming where we are.  Not many of you can relate to life as we know it right now but you can most assuredly relate to this joy I speak of if you know Christ.  He’s jealous for you and He knows just what you need.  I pray that today as you venture throughout the day that you will see God and you will praise Him for the goodness He lays out just for you!

“Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be over ALL the earth.” Psalm 57:11


2 comments:

  1. Your blog is awesome - the pictures and stories are priceless. They give life to the overwhelming needs of the people there. They bring God' Word to life! I hang on every word and await anxiously for your next entry. Your writing draws me in and I feel like I am there with you for a few minutes. I always feel an overwhelming urge to drop everything and take the next flight out to be there and help do something! I am sure you will find yourself busier and busier, but please keep writing when you can.
    It's also reassuring to see photos of you and your family smiling, and safe, and being with the community.

    Your family's faith and strength is amazing. I am constantly in awe!
    Cindy Allard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love for you to hop on over anytime, Cindy! :) Thanks for your words of encouragement!!

      Delete